Since 1921, individuals, families, organizations and others have partnered with The Dayton Foundation to transform lives and make a lasting, positive change in Greater Dayton. We help you help others.SM
As a tax-exempt, charitable nonprofit organization, we steward more than 4,100 funds created by people who care about a variety of charitable causes and interests in our region and beyond. We offer short- and long-term fund options that meet your giving and financial needs now and in the future. We also:
- award grants through competitive grants programs to regional nonprofits;
- award scholarships to aspiring students;
- partner with financial advisors and estate planners to help them help their clients' charitable giving needs; and
- convene and collaborate with others to move the needle on critical community needs and initiatives.
We help you help othersSM through philanthropy and community leadership.
Together, we value all individuals and are committed to the following values.
- Collaboration – work together as a staff and Governing Board with our community for collective good
Equity – eliminate barriers and create opportunities for all
- Commitment – challenge disparities, foster inclusion and advance equity in the communities we serve
- Aspiration – accelerate and influence change
- Excellence – ensure the highest level of service, provide exemplary fiscal stewardship, preserve donor intent and exceed expectations
- Integrity – be transparent, accountable, honest and respectful
The Dayton Foundation at a Glance
(Fiscal Year 2023)
More than 448,000 grants totaling $1.29B awarded to charities in Greater Dayton and beyond
Nationally & Locally Recognized
In the most recent ranking of nearly 800 community foundations nationwide, The Dayton Foundation ranked:
- 40th in grants (total dollars) made;
- 39th in new gifts received; and
- 42nd in market value of assets.
Plus, we’re second among all community foundations in the number of charitable funds under management and the number of grants awarded – more than community foundations in New York, Los Angeles and Chicago.